Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Stocking Up For The Next Batch

Went to the wine store (Vintner's Cellar) today to stock up on Potassium Metabisulphite for my next batch, and get a new fermenting bucket. I decided on that store for today's shopping because he sells kits, but he has a bunch of stuff (clarifiers and oak chips) that if his customers don't use, he gives away with any purchase.

Every kit also comes with a bucket, and if the customer doesn't use the bucket he sells the unused buckets cheap.

While I was there I asked about a filter because I want to give my future batches an even more polished look. The Siligel worked well on it's own, and if I combine it with Isinglass I am sure I will always have a nice clear mead, but filtering will make it really crystal clear and sparkly.  I am still wary of using Liquigel rather than Isinglass because it is made from shrimp and I don't trust that it won't trigger reactions in people with shrimp and shellfish allergies. Since even the folks at WebMD.com are undecided on that issue I won't risk it.

Anyway, in the end I walked out with:
1  23L (6 gallon) food grade fermenting bucket
          (It has a solid lid, but for the price I don't mind drilling the hole for the airlock myself)
1 used Hexter brand gravity feed wine filter (used once) made by D. Repol Enterprises in Whitby, ON
          (yay local manufacturers!)
1 used electric air pump
1 used bottle filler
2 used racking canes
1 used carboy blow-off cap
2 used hose shutoff clamps
1 used Y adapter for hose
1 packet of isinglass
7 packets of siligel
7 30g packets of charred oak chips
4 30g packets of natural oak chips
and 5 tablespoons of Potassium Metabisulphite

total cost: $49
Given that the MSRP for that filter is $80 I think today's shopping trip was a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment