Thursday, November 22, 2012

Maple Mead Started

After a short delay because the wine stores in the area were experiencing a shortage of yeast nutrients... my maple mead (AKA Acerglyn) is started.

Boy does the maple must smell nice!

I used 6kg of honey (just the Loblaws No-Name pasteurized honey because it was on sale cheap) and 2 L of maple syrup. 1L from my mom's friend's sugar bush, and 1L of Amber syrup from Purple Woods. The Purple Woods Amber is amazing syrup. Anna says she regrets saying I could use it in the mead. I hope that when the mead is done she'll feel less regretful. :)

I spent all evening last night sanitizing equipment and cooking my must (raising the temp to 160+F to pasteurize) and then cooling it off to a temp suitable for introduction of the yeast. The house smelled fantastic!

I can't wait till March when the Purple Woods Heritage Store opens again, I love their syrup.

Because of the cost of maple syrup, this is going to be my most expensive batch yet. At a grand total of just under $90 in ingredients and consumable supplies (sanitizer, corks, etc). Still way cheaper and more fun for me than buying it at the liquor store or even brewing on-premise at a wine kit store.




No comments:

Post a Comment